Here’s a brief step-by-step to help remember what I did to setup a remote weather logging Raspberry Pi.
- Raspberry Pi
- Weather Station
- 3G Dongle and SIM
- Power Supply
- Install Occidentalis as per AdaFruit tutorial.
- Setup WiFi as per AdaFruit tutorial.
- sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade, then restart.
- Setup RPiMonitor as per this post (or newer).
- Add WiFi to RPi Monitor as per my comment on this post.
- Optional: Install motion for webcam support
- Make a backup image at this point as I had an issue with libusb1.0 and had to start again.
- Install and configure pywws and dependencies as per this or more recently this.
- Instead of installing downloads via wget, I chose to use the packages already in the repo, so did ‘sudo apt-get install cython’, ‘sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0’. cython-hidapi was the only one I did the long way. I did not change setup.py as libusb-1.0 was already installed in /usr/includes
- If there is an issue with this when running ‘sudo python setup.py install’ with the following error: “hid-libusb.c:43:20: fatal error: libusb.h: No such file or directory
error: command ‘gcc’ failed with exit status 1″ try ‘sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev’ and try again.
- Latest pywws obtained with ‘git clone https://github.com/jim-easterbrook/pywws.git’